Home   |   Alfa Insurance   |   Alfa Health   |   Alfa Dental   |   Alfa Realty   |   County Federations    
ALFA Farmers
-> Headlines
-> Video News
-> Country Kitchen
-> Photo Galleries
-> Events


More Headlines...
February 04, 2003   Email to Friend 

Debra Davis
(334) 613-4686
February 04, 2003

MONTGOMERY, Ala. - USDA Rural Development is accepting applications for fiscal year 2003 Farm Labor Housing loan and grant funds from eligible organizations for new construction and acquisition and rehabilitation of off-farm units for farm worker households. The announcement of the loan and grant program was made by Steve Pelham, Alabama State Director for USDA Rural Development.

Off-farm housing would typically be apartment style housing units. A substantial portion of the farm worker's annual income must come from farm wages to be eligible for housing.

Applications for off-farm labor housing must be submitted to the USDA Rural Development State Office in Montgomery by 5 p.m. on March 27, 2003. Because the agency's appropriations act has not been passed, applicants should be aware that the agency cannot make commitments based on the anticipated funding. Expenses incurred in developing applications will be at the applicant's expense.

USDA's Farm Labor Housing Program assists farm owners in providing decent, safe, and sanitary housing for domestic farm laborers working on their farm and assists eligible organizations in providing decent, safe, and sanitary housing to farm laborers regardless of the farm where they work, including migrant and seasonal farm workers. Loan terms may be up to 33 years and 1 percent interest. Applications for USDA Rural Development's on-farm labor housing program may be filed at any time, but are funded annually as funds are appropriated. On-farm housing would typically be a modest single family dwelling located on, or near, the farm operation, and would be provided rent-free by the farm owner to the farm laborer as a condition of employment and as a portion of the farm worker's compensation. If you have questions regarding the off-farm or on-farm labor housing program and/or would like to request an application, contact the USDA Rural Development office in Montgomery at 334-279-3455.

  Email to Friend More Headlines...  

e-News Sign Up | Site Map | Weather | Contact us RSS logo RSS Feed Twitter logo Follow us Facebook logo Become a Fan
© Copyright 2003 - 2010 Alabama Farmers Federation.
All Rights Reserved.