MEETINGS TO UPDATE PUBLIC ON AG AND EXTENSION PROGRAMS
Alabamians can hear about and comment on the future direction of agriculture in Alabama in general and at Auburn University in particular in a series of meetings set for January and February. The meetings will be hosted by the Alabama Agricultural Experiment Station (AAES) and the Alabama Cooperative Extension System.
The "Auburn Updates," to be held at the seven AAES/Extension System research and extension centers (RECs) located across the state, will include reports on the current reorganization of extension and on the status of regional agricultural initiatives. The meetings also will include research priorities that have been developed for the regional RECs based on citizens' input at a similar series of meetings a year ago.
The meetings, all of which will be held from 6 to 8 p.m., are scheduled as follows:
• Jan. 12 at the E.V. Smith Research Center's Milstead Farm Group Building in Shorter
• Jan. 13 at Verbena High School, regarding the Chilton REC in Clanton
• Jan. 25 at the Black Belt REC in Marion Junction
• Jan. 26 at the Tennessee Valley REC in Belle Mina
• Jan. 27 at the Tom Bevill Enrichment Center in Rainsville, regarding the Sand Mountain REC in Crossville
• Jan. 31 at the Wiregrass REC in Headland
• Feb. 1 at the Gulf Coast REC in Fairhope
All meetings are open to all AAES and extension stakeholders, a broad group that includes farmers and all Alabama consumers.
Also as part of the regional sessions, AAES and Extension leaders will report on the actions to date of a 29-member broad-based commission that AU Interim President Ed Richardson established to advise him on the future direction of agriculture and associated programs at Auburn University.
Richardson has charged the commission -- which includes agricultural producers, agribusiness and industry representatives and environmental interests -- with creating a vision that will position AU to lead Alabama agriculture in a rapidly changing environment.
For more information on the upcoming Auburn Update meetings, contact Kelley Terry at (334) 844-3209 or email@example.com.