Home   |   Alfa Insurance   |   Alfa Health   |   Alfa Dental   |   Alfa Realty   |   County Federations    
ALFA Farmers
-> Headlines
-> Video News
-> Country Kitchen
-> Photo Galleries
-> Events


More Headlines...
January 12, 2009   Email to Friend 

Darryal Ray
(334) 613-4187
January 12, 2009

MONTGOMERY, Ala. -- Farmers have until March 31 to file claims for their state gasoline tax refund, according to the Alabama Department of Revenue which also reminds farmers of new filing guidelines.

According to ADOR, a recent change in the law affecting the latter part of the 2008 refund claim year allows Alabama farmers transporting biomass to electricity-generating facilities to receive a fuel tax refund up to $1,000. It also extends farmers' fuel tax refund provisions to include clear motor fuel used on the farm in tractor and other farm machinery attached to tractors.

Since the 2008 refund claim year will be a transition year that requires the use of refund procedures under both old and new guidelines, ADOR says farmers will be required to file two refund claim forms for the 2008 year.

"One refund claim form will apply to taxes on gasoline purchased from Jan. 1, 2008, through Aug. 5, 2008," explained State Revenue Commissioner Tim Russell. "The refund rate for that period is 15 cents per gallon and will only apply to the amount of gasoline that was used in tractors or any auxiliary engines attached to tractors. It will not include motor fuel.

"The second refund claim will apply to taxes on gasoline and motor fuel purchased from Aug. 6, 2008, through Dec. 31, 2008," Russell added. "The refund rate will be 11 cents per gallon, and in addition to allowable on-farm uses, it will apply to allowable off-farm uses as well."

Farmers who have previously filed refund claims with the ADOR were mailed forms beginning Jan. 6. Any individual qualifying for a refund may obtain a claim form by writing: Alabama Department of Revenue, Sales, Use and Business Tax Division, Motor Fuels Section, P.O. Box 327540, Montgomery, AL 36132-7540, or call (334) 242-9608.

After Jan. 15, 2009, forms will also be available at all county extension agent offices and all Alabama Department of Revenue Taxpayer Service Centers.

For more information, farmers may contact the department's Motor Fuels Section at (334) 242-9608, or email Steve.Dubose@revenue.alabama.gov.

  Email to Friend More Headlines...  

e-News Sign Up | Site Map | Weather | Contact us RSS logo RSS Feed Twitter logo Follow us Facebook logo Become a Fan
© Copyright 2003 - 2010 Alabama Farmers Federation.
All Rights Reserved.