Home   |   Alfa Insurance   |   Alfa Health   |   Alfa Dental   |   Alfa Realty   |   County Federations    
ALFA Farmers
-> Headlines
-> Video News
-> Country Kitchen
-> Photo Galleries
-> Events


More Headlines...
May 04, 2011   Email to Friend 

May 04, 2011

MONTGOMERY, Ala.-- USDA Farm Service Agency (FSA) State Executive Director Daniel Robinson reminds crop and livestock producers throughout Alabama that have recently experienced severe damage from tornadoes that FSA programs may be available to assist with recovery.

"Severe weather this spring is making things very difficult for many ranchers and farmers. Learning about our FSA disaster assistance programs is an important first step for producers in the recovery process," said Robinson.

FSA administers several important programs that help producers recover from disaster damage and livestock deaths. Among the key programs available to address impacts from disasters are:

Emergency Conservation Program (ECP)--provides funding for farmers to rehabilitate farmland damaged by a natural disaster (check with local FSA Office for sign-up periods, which are set by county FSA committees)

Livestock Indemnity Program (LIP)--provides assistance to livestock producers for livestock deaths from a natural disaster event (must file a notice of loss within 30 calendar days of the loss event or of when the loss of livestock was apparent to the participant)

Emergency Assistance for Livestock, Honeybees and Farm-Raised Fish Program (ELAP)-- provides emergency relief to producers of livestock, honey bees, and farm-raised fish, and covers losses not adequately covered by any other disaster program (must file notice of loss within the earlier of 30 calendar days of when the loss is apparent to the participant, or 30 calendar days after the end of the calendar year in which the loss occurred)

Tree Assistance Program (TAP)--provides assistance to orchardists and nursery tree growers for losses due to a natural disaster (must file notice of loss within 90 calendar days from the date of the disaster event or the date when the loss of trees, bushes or vines is apparent)

Emergency Forest Restoration Program (EFRP)--provides assistance to eligible owners of nonindustrial private forest land in order to carry out emergency measures to restore land damaged by a natural disaster (check with local FSA Office for sign-up periods, which are set by county FSA committees)

Noninsured Disaster Assistance Program (NAP)--provides assistance to eligible producers affected by a natural disaster, covering noninsurable crop losses and prevented planting (must file notice of loss within 15 calendar days of date of loss or of the date damage to the crop or loss of production becomes apparent to the participant)

Supplemental Revenue Assistance Payments (SURE) Program--provides assistance for crop production and/or quality losses due to a natural disaster

Fact sheets for all of these programs can be found online at www.fsa.usda.gov; click on Newsroom, then Fact Sheets. You may also visit your local Farm Service Agency Office for more information regarding these programs.

"We encourage all who have suffered a disaster due to the recent severe weather conditions to read the fact sheets and visit their local FSA county office so they can get a quick start in the recovery process," added Robinson.

  Email to Friend More Headlines...  

e-News Sign Up | Site Map | Weather | Contact us RSS logo RSS Feed Twitter logo Follow us Facebook logo Become a Fan
© Copyright 2003 - 2010 Alabama Farmers Federation.
All Rights Reserved.