AG DEPARTMENT TO RAISE FEES
MONTGOMERY, Ala. - In response to major cuts from its budget, the Department of Agriculture and Industries approved increases in several types of agricultural fees during its board meeting Tuesday.
The affected fees include annual license fees for commercial feed companies, annual inspection certificate fees for nurseries, inspection and license fees for commercial fertilizer distributors, inspection and permit fees for manufacturers and distributors of agricultural liming materials and annual permit fees for seed dealers and processors.
"In January, the Alabama Department of Agriculture and Industries had 15 percent proration and was forced to meet that challenge by reducing the ag department's staff by 25 percent," said Jimmy Carlisle, director of the Alabama Farmers Federation's department of governmental and agricultural programs division. "Even with other cost saving measures being implemented, the ag department was forced to look at updating its fee structure as an alternative in order to carry out its functions and responsibilities effectively. We are appreciative that Commissioner McMillan allowed businesses and organizations that would be impacted by the proposed rule changes an opportunity for review and input."
The effective date for nursery, fertilizer and liming fees is Oct. 1. The seed and feed fees go into effect Jan. 1, 2012.
Annual license fees for commercial feed companies
• Less than 250 tons: $45
• 250 tons or more, but less than 500 tons: $90
• 500 tons or more, but less than 1,000 tons: $300
• 1,000 tons or more, but less than 2,000 tons: $375
• 2,000 tons or more, but less than 4,000 tons: $450
• 4,000 tons or more, but less than 8,000 tons: $575
• 8,000 tons or more: $750
In the case of commercial feed distributed in Alabama in packages or containers of 10 pounds or less, an annual fee of $100 per product in lieu of the inspection fee.
Annual inspection certificate fees for nurseries
These fees are based on the previous years volume of sales in nursery stock.
• Less than $100,000: $50
• $100,000.01 to $500,000: $75
• $500,000.01 to $1,000,000: $125
• $1,000,000.01 to $1,500,000: $200
• More than $1,500,000: $230
Inspection and license fees for commercial fertilizer distributors
The inspection fee for all commercial fertilizer sold in Alabama is 75 cents per ton.
The license fees for commercial fertilizer sold in Alabama are based on the number of tons of commercial fertilizer sold in or for the importation into Alabama during the preceding 12-month period, which ends June 30.
• Less than 100 tons: $37.50
• 100 tons or more, but less than 1,000 tons: $75
• 1,000 tons or more, but less than 5,000 tons: $150
• 5,000 tons or more, but less than 10,000 tons: $225
• 10,000 tons or more, but less than 25,000 tons: $300
• 25,000 tons or more, but less than 50,000 tons: $375
• 50,000 tons or more, but less than 75,000 tons: $450
• 75,000 tons or more, but less than 100,000 tons: $525
• 100,000 tons or more: $750
Inspection and permit fees for manufacturers and distributors or agricultural liming materials
The inspection fee for each manufacturer or distributor of agricultural liming materials is 25 cents per ton of gross sales and should accompany the monthly gross sales report.
Every manufacturer or distributor selling agricultural liming materials in Alabama must apply for an annual permit along with a permit fee of $250 before Oct. 1 of each year.
If more than one type of agricultural liming material is manufactured or distributed or the product or the brand name is changed, an additional permit fee of $125 for each additional brand or type of liming material must be paid.
Annual permit fees for seed dealers and processors
For each person selling seed that is not displayed on a supplemental container display to retail seed dealers, farmers or others who use or plant the seed, the permit fees are based on gross receipts for the previous year.
• Receipts of $2,500 or less: $15
• Receipts of $2,500.01 to $25,000: $50
• Receipts of $25,000.01 to $50,000: $70
• Receipts of $50,000.01 to $100,000: $150
• Receipts of $100,000.01 to $200,000: $300
• Receipts of $200,000.01 to $300,000: $400
• Receipts of $300,000.01 to $400,000: $500
• Receipts of $400,000.01 to $500,000: $600
• Receipts of more than $500,000: $700